Hi everyone I’m Marissa from Rae Gun Ramblings. I’m a crazy Hunger Games fan.
Today I want to share with you how to make your own Sassy Katniss Shirt (or really any awesome Hunger Games item you can dream of) using freezer paper stenciling.
What You Need
- shirt (or something you want the design on)
- fabric paint (I like tulip paints I’ve bought the from Joann and Michael’s)
- foam brush freezer paper (they sell it by the wax paper at the grocery store)
- cardboard to put in between the fabric layers
What To Do
- Make your design and cut it out of freezer paper (this is like wax paper but the wax is only on one size). You want the shinny side down so consider that while positioning. I used my cricut and put the shinny side on my mat when I cut but you can use any cutting machine or even an exacto knife (just print up your design and either trace it or print it right on the paper side of the freezer paper and carefully cut away the black)
- Iron the stencil on your shirt (or bag or whatever). Shinny side down. Be anal about this make sure you do a good job getting all the edges. This is the step that I worry about most.
- With a board and more freezer paper (shinny side up) in between your shirt layers use fabric paint and a foam brush and apply the paint. I blot and smoosh as opposed to brush.
Don’t go too heavy at once just keep on blotting and adding a little paint at a time
- I like to wait about an hour and then pull off the stencil. It will still be wet so be careful not to touch the paint and not to touch the wet stencil to spots on the shirt.
- Allow to dry completely. Wear with pride and make everyone else jealous.
You can use this technique to make just about anything. For example my friends and I made these awesome I Shop the Hob Bags the same way.
Stenciling is a little finicky so I do recommend practicing on some scrap fabric just so you can get the feel of things before you try it on a nice shirt or bag.
I hope you like it. I’ve got loads of HG and other geeky crafts and posts on my blog I’d love you to check it out and definitely let me know if you try this out or have any questions.